It’s the Rugby World Cup, which in South Africa equals many a festive get-together with friends and family to watch the matches.
And if you’re hosting, why not impress your guests with a proudly South African twist on sausage rolls? These yummy boerewors rolls will keep everyone satisfied. You can make 9 pies with this recipe.
What you need:
• 800g boerewors
• 1 can of tomato and onion mix, or chakalaka if you like it spicy
• 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
• 1kg roll frozen puff pastry
• 1 egg beaten with a fork
• Grated cheese, if you want to go all out
What to do:
1 Cook the boerewors until its medium done. Leave it to cool.
2. Fry the tomato and onion mix in a pan and spice to taste. Leave to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
4. Cut the defrosted puff pastry into strips of approximately 8cm across.
6. Cut a piece of wors lengthwise, and place the two pieces in the dough, lengthwise, about 2cm from the edge.
7. Smother the wors with tomato and onion mix and cover it with cheese. You can also add a bit of mustard or chutney if you want.
8. Fold the flap of the dough over the wors and gently press the edges on the three open sides together. Use a fork to firmly press the edges together.
9. Place the pies on a greased oven pan, brush with egg, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
Now just enjoy!