We’ve all been there; it’s Sunday afternoon, and you’re craving something sweet. I avoid having sweets in my house due to my lack of self-control. But I have this intense craving, so what do I do?
I jump into my car to go and buy a chocolate. Everyone deserves a treat now and then, right? The problem is, I don’t just buy one chocolate… I buy a cold drink, and a bag of chips, and maybe a chocolate or two.
When I get home I devour this all in a matter of minutes. Like I said, self-restraint is not my best quality.
Clearly, this entire exercise is not good for my budget or waistline. But what to do?
Why not make your own delicious treat that is both healthier and cheaper?
This 1 Minute Coffee Cake in a Mug by chocolate-covered Katie fits the bill, literally.
This is what you need:
For the cake:
• 3 tbsp white flour
• ¼ tsp baking powder
• 1/16 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp water
• 2 tsp oil or melted margarine
• ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
For the streusel:
• 1/8 tsp cinnamon
• 1 and ¼ tsp brown sugar
• ¼ to ½ tsp oil or melted margarine
• Tiny pinch of salt
• 2 pecan halves (or walnut halves)
What you do:
1. If using an oven, preheat to 165° C.
2. Combine batter dry ingredients and mix well.
3. Add wet and mix until just mixed.
4. In a tiny bowl, combine all streusel ingredients.
5. Fill a greased muffin tin ½ way with the batter, or a ramekin or mug, if using the microwave.
6. Sprinkle on two-thirds of the streusel, then spoon the remaining batter on top.
7. Finally, sprinkle on the rest of the streusel.
8. Cook 12 to 13 minutes in the oven, or around 1 minute in the microwave. Microwave times may vary.
Easy as cake, now sit back and enjoy your healthy sweet treat.