Tongue is often viewed as a delicatessen only enjoyed by older generations or those with a sense of adventure. Truth is, beef tongue is a very healthy meat option and, without a doubt, one of the cheapest cuts available.
Here are easy-to-follow instructions on how to prepare a cheap, healthy and delicious beef tongue meal:
What you will need:
• 1 x beef tongue – it will save you a lot of time to buy tongue that has already been cleaned by the butcher.
• ½ onion
• 1 x bay leaf
• 1 tablespoon of butter
• Salt and pepper
What to do:
1. Place your beef tongue, onion, bay leaf and some garlic in a slow cooker. Add salt and cover it with water. To shake it up, you can also add other vegetables like carrots or herbs like rosemary. For a stew you can add beef stock cubes.
2. Cook the tongue on low heat for about 8 hours. When a knife can easily go through the thickest part of the tongue, it is ready.
3. Once the meat is cooked, let it cool enough to be handled and peel off the outer layer of skin.
4. You can now cut it up into smaller pieces or thin slices,
5. In a pan with some butter, brown the cut pieces.
Note: If you don’t have a slow cooker or steam pot, you can use a pan with water – just make sure to cover the pan and refill with water as necessary.
Serving suggestions for your beef tongue:
1. You can serve it cold as part of a salad. Simply mix your favourite salad ingredients together and add the tongue and a salad dressing of your choice.
2. Serve it on a sandwich with some lettuce and mustard.
3. You can serve it as part of a stir-fry.
4. Cook the beef tongue in beef stock with your favourite vegetables and eat it as a stew with rice or mashed potatoes.
5. Cut the tongue into slices, marinate it and fry it slightly in a pan, serve with potato or green salad.
6. You can also fill a tortilla with shredded cabbage, chilli sauce, guacamole and yummy and healthy beef tongue strips.